The Ranger Review

Building Nostalgia

Are You Ready for Homecoming?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Building Nostalgia

Homecoming Week Schedule of Events

Homecoming Week Schedule of Events

Homecoming Week Schedule of Events

Homecoming Week Schedule of Events

Spirit Week and Homecoming; two of the most iconic events in public American high schools. Homecoming, despite being cliché, gives every and anyone something to get excited about, boosting school spirit–functioning as an opportunity for students to be around each other without having to deal with class or school work.

Over the past two years, Greely has not had a Homecoming dance. Its absence has only encouraged the assumption that school related events aren’t fun. This was found true on Oct. 1 in two random samples of senior and freshman classes. Only 52% of a combined freshman advisory were confident they were going to attend, while still fewer seniors in Mr. Hunt’s nutrition class gave definite yeses.

So, to those of you who are undecided, let’s break down some false assumptions.

No, you do not need a date. Junior Katie Fitzpatrick has the right idea: she plans on “going with friends” and believes that Homecoming is a dance “for everyone.” This does not go to say that you can’t bring a date, but that should not be a factor preventing attendance.

Spirt Week “makes school more inclusive.”

— Claire Mulligan

No, the dance is not grade exclusive. The dance is for all grades. Prom is the only dance that is reserved for upperclassmen, so it is encouraged for all grades to attend Hoco.

Yes, you should go.  As Senior Kate Richards said, “I’m on student council and working really hard to make it fun.”

Dances are specifically put together so students can enjoy themselves–made by students, for students.

Homecoming will be held in the auditorium on Oct. 13, from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. There is an $8 entrance fee, and concessions are $1. If you don’t feel like dancing or just get tired from it, there will be a movie in the library. (A poll was recently sent out over email, so make sure to vote!)

To build up the fun and excitement, this year there is a Spirit Week and pep rally leading up to the Saturday dance. Freshman Claire Mulligan said that Spirit Week, “makes school more inclusive.”

This year’s Spirit Week will include four days in which everyone can showcase their school spirit. With no school on Monday, the first day will be Tuesday with the theme of red, white, and blue. Wednesday will be PJ day (to help cope with PSATs), and Thursday’s theme is sports jersey. Lastly, to truly showcase your school spirit, Friday’s theme is maroon and white.

For even more schoolwide fun there will be a pep rally Friday before school gets out. Mrs. Dexter, student council advisor, says that although activities are not yet set in stone, possibilities include: dodgeball games, pie-eating contests, and a performance by the Madrigal choir. After school on Friday, there will be a volleyball home game versus Cony High School with varsity starting at 6 p.m. There will also be a home football game, against the Gorham Rams, starting at 7 p.m.

Junior Naveen Caron, member of the football team, encouraged people to attend, and said that the team “plays better when there is a big crowd…and at home!”

If you find yourself wondering if it’s worth it to be a part of these activities, the answer is yes. No matter who you are, senior or freshman, student or staff, we are all in charge of creating school spirit. Spirit is what unites us, makes us closer, makes us friends, so reach out and try something new. Greely is doing that exact thing by making a Homecoming Spirit Week and dance. It will be fun and inclusive, and even if it’s not perfect, it’s a start.

Be sure not to miss the Homecoming review the week following the dance!

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

About the Writer
Morgan Selby, Ranger Review Staff Writer

I’m a senior at Greely and have been attending here since my sophomore year. I really want to focus my stories on school spirit. I also hope to write...