Take a Bite of Singaporean Food

Mee+Goreng

Mee Goreng

Luna Smith, Ranger Review Staff

Let’s talk about Singapore for a second: the bustling city, heart and home to dozens of ethnicities, cultures, races and religions. Singapore, an island located in South East Asia has the widest variety of food in my opinion. Although Singapore split and liberated themselves from Malaysia in 1965, not only would you find variations and adaptations of Malaysian food, but over the years Singapore has accepted different cultures from Chinese, Indian, Indonesian and so much more into their food. This cuisine is called Singaporean food. 

It was not easy when I transitioned from a small busy city to a large suburban state. Homesick is one word to describe how I felt for the first couple of months. Maine and even most states in the US don’t have a large representation of Singaporean food, so I am here today after some years of exploring, to share some not so secret finds. 

The Green Elephant 

608 Congress St, Portland, ME (Tuesday-Sunday 5pm-9.30pm) 

Once I tasted the Char Guay Teow from here I thought I had teleported back to Singapore for a split second. This malaysian inspired stirfry noodle dish taste just like one I find at any food court in Singapore. The noodles have a smokey flavor to it and although it is typically eaten with some sort of meat like chicken, considering this is from a vegetarian restaurant, I’lli’ll give them the benefit of the doubt. 

Char Guay Teow

Veranda Asian Market 

695 Forest Ave, Portland, ME (Monday-Sunday 9am-9pm) 

Because Singaporean food is so specific and not that popular, it can be hard to find the right places. Veranda Asian Market sells classic Singaporean snacks and ingredients to make some signature dishes. 

First we have Durian: 

This classic fruit is best known as the “smelly fruit” as it has a unique smell and taste which can be best described as ‘sweet onion.’ During the durian season, markets and food courts are filled with ripe durians sold at a cheap price. Here in Maine it’s not as cheap but it is still as sweet and creamy as I remember. 

Durian

Second we have Milo:

Similar to Nesquik, this chocolate milk is sold at canteens in primary and secondary schools for students to enjoy on a hot day. I was only able to find the powdered version at this Asian market but nonetheless you are still able to make the drink and with the powder you could even make a ‘Milo Dinosaur,’ a fun drink my brother and I would get at Indian restaurants in Singapore. This chocolate milk is not as sweet as Nesquick and has a more neutral chocolate flavour.

Milo

Third we have Fish Balls: 

Fishballs are a staple to Singaporean food. Typically they are found in fish ball noodle soup but they are also sold fried on a stick. Fish Balls have a jelly like texture to them but taste salty and to many people’s surprise, it doesn’t really taste like fish. You can find an assortment of fish ball flavours here but they still do not taste as fresh as the ones sold in Singapore. 

Fish Balls

Hannaford Supermarket

295 Forest Ave, Portland, ME (Monday-Sunday 7am-10pm) 

Mee Goreng is a Singaporean snack that originated in Indonesia. This savory and slightly sweet dish is typically not sold at food courts but at Mom and Pop shops. I was surprised when I found the noodles here because I could not find them at any other Hannafords and as it turns out they only sell them in the Portland Hannafords. This is a cheap alternative to other instant noodles.

Mee Goreng