The Ranger Review

Preble Street Club Makes A Difference

Back to Article
Back to Article

Preble Street Club Makes A Difference

From left to right: Emma Boynton, Cameron Aromando, Henry Dorsky, Henry Clapp, Terence Olds, Mr. Brenes, Kyla Moroney, and Ellie Holt

Bridget Lary

Bridget Lary

Bridget Lary

With holiday break fast approaching, days are growing colder and darker as the long Maine winter begins to set in. Though many are lucky enough to stay smothered  in warm blankets on snowy days, some Mainers are not so fortunate and live outside. Greely’s Preble Street Club is doing all it can to help folks get through the winter season.

The Preble Street Club has set up a schoolwide clothing drive for locally less fortunate individuals. Students are encouraged to bring in winter clothes of any kind— snow boots, jackets, pants, gloves— and put them in donation boxes located outside of the main office. The grade that donates the most material items will receive 10 points during spirit week.

The Preble Street Club is made up of a group of forward-thinking students willing to volunteer their time to help others in the community. Every two weeks or so, club members travel to Preble Street in Portland and volunteer at  the soup kitchen. Students are tasked with either cooking and serving food or washing dishes.

Senior leaders Henry Dorsky and Terence Olds help facilitate operations at the Portland foundation. Though currently focused on the clothing drive, they say they are aiming high with the future of the club.

“We are planning big things,” said Dorsky,  referring to a future food drive and the club’s past success with such events.

Bridget Lary
From left to right: Henry Dorsky, Terence Olds, Henry Clapp

A clothing drive took place at one of Greely hockey’s recent tournaments.  It was a monumental success. 10 boxes were filled with clothing, more than quadrupling last year’s count.

New club members are welcome, or as Dorsky puts it, “new people… new faces” are always encouraged to join.

Olds seconded this, saying, “Our goal is just to get more people involved.”

The club meets after school on Tuesdays.  Mr. Brenes is the club advisor.

Clothing will be collected until the end of Spirit Week. Until then, Greely Preble Street Club members will be going around the school and talking with advisories about what the club does with their volunteer work.

About the Photographer
Bridget Lary, Ranger Review Photographer/Videographer

I am a sophomore at Greely High School and the Ranger Review was recommended to me by a friend, which I am so thankful for! I have a passion for photographer...