The Ranger Review

Poetry Out Loud Competition in New Center for the Arts

Bottom row L to R: Samantha Galbraith, Lillian Benoit, Natalie Mullin, Hannah Kropp, Delia Knox.
Top row L to R: Annalise Panici, Ella Poor, Abbey Lucey,  Claire Oliver, Kaitlyn Guay, Meaghan McBreairty

Bottom row L to R: Samantha Galbraith, Lillian Benoit, Natalie Mullin, Hannah Kropp, Delia Knox. Top row L to R: Annalise Panici, Ella Poor, Abbey Lucey, Claire Oliver, Kaitlyn Guay, Meaghan McBreairty

The 2019 Poetry Out Loud contest was held inside the new Greely Center for the Arts on January 8th.   Eleven students recited poetry before three judges.  Judges evaluated student performance using a number of criteria: physical presence, voice articulation, dramatic appropriateness, evidence of understanding, accuracy, and overall performance.

11th grader Kaitlyn Guay won the overall contest with her recitations of “Undivided Attention” by Taylor Mali and “To Have Without Holding” by Marge Piercy.

11th graders Annalise Panici and Ella Poor came in 2nd and 3rd place.

Kaitlyn will advance to the Southern Maine Regional Finals on February 11 which will be held at the Westbrook Performing Arts Center at 3pm. The top 5 finalists from that contest will advance to the the state competition. The winner of the state competition will advance to national Poetry Out Loud competition held in Washington D.C.

For many years the Poetry Out Loud Contest has taken place in either the cafeteria, library, or in classrooms.  English teacher Joan Guild, the organizer of the Greely High School Poetry Out Loud Contest, was very pleased to have the competition take place in the Center for the Arts.

“The new venue was fantastic. The sound and light technology increased the wow factor of the students’ talents. The participants were notably supportive and encouraging to one another. We look forward more poetry performances in the Center for the Arts in the future.”