The Ranger Review

1382 Points and Counting

Back to Article
Back to Article

1382 Points and Counting

Senior Anna Dewolfe, 17, is one of Greely’s star basketball players. Anna has been playing basketball ever since she was little, and she practices every day, even in the off-season

All of that effort has paid off.

Anna wanted to play basketball because her dad, his two sisters and brother all played basketball at Greely. Her aunt even won back to back championships in ‘83 and ‘84 and she wanted to win states just like her. Anna said she continues to play basketball because she likes working with other people on her team and the challenge of playing against players who are better than her.

Last year Anna got to 1,000 career points as a junior and ended up with 1,382 points at the end of her junior year. She is now Greely’s all-time points leader.

Anna has the opportunity to go anywhere she sets her mind to.”

— Brooke Obar

The Greely Girls’ basketball team won the 2018 Maine state championship game on the same night as the Greely boys’ basketball team.  Her brother Shane Dewolfe, now a freshman in college, was a starter on that team.

“It was really special for my whole entire family,” Anna said.

Not only was it special for her and her brother because they won states together, but it was also cool that she won it alongside sisters Mollie and Brooke Obar. Their mother had played with Anna’s aunt to win a championship, too.

Anna said her biggest support over the years has been her dad. Her dad coached her all through elementary school, high school AAU, and brought her to all of her practices before she had her licence.  He also trained her when she didn’t have her trainer and “pushed her both on and off the court.”

Her teammates also appreciate her drive to succeed. Senior Julia Martel said, “No matter what she is doing she is always giving 110%” in both practices and games.”  

On and off the basketball court, Brooke Obar believes  Anna “has the opportunity to go anywhere she sets her mind to.”

Anna has chosen to go to Fordham next year where she hopes to major in psychology.  Before that happens, she hopes to bring to Greely another gold basketball.

Story Design: Ella Normandeau

About the Writer
Kaiyla Delisle, Social Media Specialist/Staff Writer

I am so excited to be a part of newspaper this year! In 5th grade when I moved here from Yarmouth I was a part of the Greely Gazette. I loved it so much,...