The Ranger Review

Locker Room Glow-Up Met With Swift Termination

Back to Article
Back to Article

Greely Boys' Basketball locker room-- post glow-up.

Abigail Cloutier

Abigail Cloutier

The Greely Boys’ and Girls’ basketball seasons have started, and energy is at a high as both teams hope for yet another state-championship run. Yet, conflict has already positioned itself in the center of the conversation.

Upon the season’s commencement, varsity athletes from both teams decided that their respective locker rooms needed sources of entertainment. The two locker rooms, located above the pool, are solely utilized during the winter seasons by the boys’ and girls’ basketball teams.

Principal Chris Hoffman stated that Boys’ Basketball Coach Travis Seaver encouraged his players to make their locker rooms “feel a little like home.” The locker rooms usually only contain the essentials: showers, lockers, bathrooms, etc. To address this, on Monday, Nov. 19, players hoisted televisions, bean-bag chairs, Christmas lights, recliners, a fridge, and gaming consoles into the spaces.

During the night, a custodian noticed and reported the changes. This, coupled with another incident, influenced an administrative directive early in the week of Nov. 26 for the removal of the new amenities.

Coach Seaver relayed this information to his players via text. He told them that everything would need to be cleared out on Friday, Nov. 30. The Girls’ team was told the same.

Some players have expressed their frustration about the administration’s decision. Senior varsity athlete Jerod Gardner believes that “the administration shut this down way too quickly.” Both the girls and boys on each team believe the changes benefit them through the improvement of their teams’ chemistry.

In an interview with Mr. Hoffman, safety was cited as the primary concern of the new amenities. “We cannot guarantee supervision or safety of students in the locker room space outside of practice times,” he said. “We are concerned that these furnishings would encourage students to hang out at times when no supervision would be available.”

He also noted that the recliners, lights, televisions, and fridge are all “violations of code, and are possible fire hazards.”

Mr. Hoffman assured that he would be meeting with members from all teams to expand his perspective and to determine the next steps. “There may be compromise,” he said, “but I don’t know yet what that compromise might be.”

About the Writer
Colby Santana, Ranger Review Staff Writer

I joined the Ranger Review because of my interests in community engagement and also to  spend time with my friends currently in the club. I especially...